Monday 21 September 2009

Stage 14

It wasn't a pleasant sound when the alarm went off to get me to the 6:30 start slot. A quick tin of rice pudding soon had me feeling better though and I staggered downstairs to grab the bike and dump some kit with dad before he returned to bed for a lay-in.

The gentle cycle across town to the start loosened the legs up and soon enough I was powering away on the final of this adventure.

We'd recce'd the route the night before which meant there were no navigation worries so I could settle back and enjoy the early-morning scenery.

The route turned out to be easier than we'd expected from the recce on which it felt like some of the hills would be real killers and the 16 km were bashed out easily in 45 minutes. I survived the absurdly steep downhill hairpins and even negotiated the camera-mans position at a fast cattle grid with incident.

Cruising into transition I surprised everyone by coming in along the side road I'd picked up at the last turning rather than clambering over the narrow footbridge like most others (good idea looking at the course beforehand!). Once support crew were called back from their station out on the road where they were to helpfully flag me in I was quickly changed and out on foot (thanks to the guy who reminded me to remove my helmet as I shot off down the road with it on my first attempt at leaving!) for the final run leg over Carlton Bank.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment