Friday 28 August 2009

Day one done

Well that was fun!

As expected the sea kayak was cancelled so we had a nice run along the
clifftop to St Bees instead. Good call as it was seriously blustery
and the sea was VERY rough. All went well and I got to transition
somewhere in the middle. Everything was ready so I was straight back
out on the road for the cycle to Buttermere. The wind helped here as
it was right at our backs and blew us along in double quick time.
Surprisingly quickly I was at the paddle and surprised the support
crew, but very quickly all was in order and I was on the way to the
paddle.

The wind was really gusting across Crummock and there were a few hairy
moments, particularly when it whipped the paddle out of a hand. I
survived and made it through the portage with only a bit of swaering.
Buttermere was much calmer and was despatched quickly.

The rain really came down as I set off on the run after another quick
transition, and the weather was foul as I tackled the monster run.
The route was really tough heading over some very steep feels with
horrid ground underfoot.

After 3 hours of slogging I got to the swim and then just had a chilly
swim across the lake, which just about the finished me off.

I finally crossed the line after just over 8 hours of racing, greeted
by a fair crowd of people, which was great.

Showers and food followed, and we're now in the briefing for tomorrow,
which is going to be a god-early start, so hopefully it will soon be
sleep time.


--
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is.

No comments:

Post a Comment